Exercise for leisure, not punishment!
Regular exercise is crucial for our bodys, our ‘machines’ to keep running, and it should never feel like a punishment. Think about what happens to a bike or a car that has not been moved for years. Apart from fueling our body with the right nutrients, we also want to keep moving if we want to live a longer, better quality life.
Ways to get your body moving and feeling good about it:
- Find friends to play a sport with, or exercise together. Hold yourself accountable and commit to a weekly activity. In other words, find your ‘partner in crime’, you don’t have to be alone in this.
- Find something that suits you, that you love and that makes you want to do more of, maybe has that ‘addictive’ element. It could be dance, it could be a sport or simply a swim in the pool.
- Walk or cycle to places to keep your activity levels up during the day; you spend way more energy in the 16 hours you’re awake than in 1 hour of exercise!
- If you didn’t enjoy exercising previously, keep trying new things until you find the one that drives your soul!
- Set aside time for it. Make it a priority and treat it as everything else important to you. So put it on your calendar. Another trick is to label it as how it makes you feel, for example: ‘Buzzing Dance Class!’ instead of ‘Exercise’. You will instantly remember the buzz!